Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Field Trip to Institute of Mental Health

The visit today really change my impression of IMH...

I used to think that IMH is just another hospital...just that the patients are ill in another way...

But after the visit, I realised IMH is not only just another hospital...

Its a place that seeks to restore hope to those who have none or little left...
Its a focal point where different help groups, charities, research institutions etc. can get together and contribute for the improvement of the general mental health of the population...

I was told that some patients were abandoned there by their family...I thought that was very tragic...very very tragic

And to those staff at IMH...I really must salute their spirit, their beliefs, their perserverance...many could have earn a better living anywhere else...but they chose to serve at IMH because they know that if they do not offer their hand...no one else will

Such trips should really be open to the public to raise the awareness of what IMH does and hopefully reduce the stigma attached to people needing mental health care

No comments: